I am back. Internet is active and I can once again use my laptop for blogging purposes. Hooray!

The move is over.

Most of the stuff made it from one house to the other. The few things that didn’t are replaceable (picture frame glass and the like). All the furniture arrived safely, including the piano, all thanks to Rocky Mountain Movers . The last two times we moved (apartment to house, house to here), these fine gents have sweated and broken their backs making sure our Piano was moved carefully and safely. I highly recommend them.

For all the smoothness of the listing, selling, purchasing of the new home, getting settled has been a bit of a bother. Problems with cable and internet providers, summer colds and the dog needing some surgery, a severe lack of adequate shelving for dvd’s, dealing with the price of window coverings (wow), have made the transition wavy, but these are minor complaints. They will work themselves out and soon enough, all of this fade and routines will begin-school, work, friends, life.

Far more difficult-the unexpected heartbreak I experienced leaving the old house. I knew it was going to be difficult but I can admit to being completely unprepared for the agony I felt as I locked the doors, leaving that part of my life behind.

The day the movers came, I was distracted, excited, busy. That night, as I lay in my new room, new bed, new everything, I was overcome with a deep depression. One sentence-“We have made the worst mistake in our lives.” Over and over those words ran through my head. I could see them in stark black on a white background and the sickness I felt drove sleep from me.


The next morning I felt better, but still had to return to Commonwealth Avenue to clean and lock up the house. What struck me most-opening the front door and after one day being vacant, the house already smelled abandoned, like a home that has been sitting for months, waiting for new people. It surprised me how all trace of us could be erased so quickly; not just our things, but the familiar smells of our lives.

I wandered the rooms a few more times before leaving, touching  walls, fixtures, windows and cabinets. I walked the perimeter of the house, taking in the smell of the flowers and plants, the textures of leaves. I took one last shot on the basketball hoop (which I made, of course), took several photos, then went inside. I locked the front bolt, and set the keys on the kitchen counter. Walking out the back made it less difficult, but the sound of the door clicking shut had a finality that still overwhelms me.

Seventeen years of my live, most of my marriage and most of my adult life spent in that area (five at an apartment near 9th and 9th, twelve years in the house I was leaving behind). Losing that much stability, that much structure and routine, it made perfect sense that I would feel the loss deeply.  Some of it, perhaps the most important parts, I can’t verbalize yet.

Each day in the new place, that feeling subsides. I don’t think I will ever lose it completely, but the happiness I feel in my new office with all my things, walking the halls and rooms of my wonderful new home cannot be denied. I love it here and I love it more the longer I am here. It is becoming home.

Soon enough, everything will be put away and we will plan our housewarming extravaganza! Anyone who wants to come look will be more than welcome. Right now, I am thinking a Friday night party with drinks and music, followed by a Saturday day open house sort of thing. Let me know to which you would like to be invited (both is an acceptable answer).



About Ryan Carty

There are some who call me, Tim?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: